Prime Day is a deal-focused event. Driving traffic to your products on Prime Day isn’t the primary goal. That is to generate sales and build brand reputation.
PROVIDE COMPELLING REASONS TO BUY
Focus on products with mass market appeal, trending products, best-sellers with strong conversion rates and traffic. Successful products on Prime Day are always offered with discounts, coupons, lightning deals, promotions.
However, price remains a big conversion driver, so offering discounts over multi-buy deals will prove more fruitful. Pricing competitively will help you win the Buy Box during Prime Day, but is not a long-term strategy. When it comes to on-page promotions and coupons, price will always win, except when consumers see a brand they particularly want.
OPTIMIZE THE PRODUCT DETAIL PAGE
Converting browsers into buyers is all about having a compelling Amazon detail page, so ensuring it is ready to receive vast amounts of Prime Day traffic is paramount.
- A fundamental requirement for success on Amazon is to ensure product detail pages are optimized to showcase the product, not the Prime Day offer.
- Amazon is a product-focused marketplace, so detail pages must directly relate to that product. Ensure you optimize product images for conversion, using secondary images to explain the key features.
OPTIMIZE YOUR INVENTORY
It is essential to be mindful of your inventory levels and to know which products will be able to handle sales uplifts and spikes in demand. Be ready ahead of time and guarantee availability throughout the event. In addition, it will be foolish to alter your chosen fulfilment methods, or overpromise on speedy delivery.
MAXIMIZE RETURN ON INVESTMENT
Once product page and inventory are fully optimized, invest in Sponsored Products and Sponsored Brands advertising to drive traffic to your page, making sure it is conversion-focused.
- It is also imperative to ensure your organic search is optimized through leveraging keywords on your page. Success is very dependent on how discoverable and visible the product is.
- Getting maximum return on ad investment on Prime Day requires being vigilant about keyword search terms and reviewing your bid maximums prior to Prime Day.
- Prepare to invest more for the time before, during and after Prime Day – increase budgets ahead of time and be ready and willing to spend.
- One of the most cost-effective ways to win is identifying if your product sits within the “Frequently purchased together” section, as you’ll get free spill-over traffic from the key product’s detail page. One product’s success will drive sales of others.
- Start advertising at least two weeks before Prime Day, as ads work better once Amazon is ranking them, and they take longer to start during busy periods. A good benchmark, or investment indicator, is to look at spend on the previous Prime Day, or perhaps look at Black Friday and Cyber Monday. This will give a good indication of investment levels.
- Avoid creating new advertising campaigns on Prime Day. Run campaigns in advance and provide a compelling reason to buy on the day. Leverage Amazon’s Brand Deals page, as it is easier to promote items in real time.
- Don’t get caught in a search and display bidding war, as this will hurt your ROI. Conversion rates. Stay consistent with normal Amazon days for non-Prime deals.
CREATING FOMO THROUGH PRIME DAY LAUNCHES
The event is a great opportunity to launch new products exclusively to Prime Members. Prime Day Launches was introduced in 2018, providing potential to generate huge buzz around new items in the run-up to the big day, as well on as the day itself. Leveraging Prime Day to launch exclusive Amazon assortments or products, is hugely beneficial to all parties.
LEVERAGING THE HALO EFFECT
Prime Day is not limited to Amazon. With shoppers in price mode, they’re looking for the best deals, often comparing Amazon to other preferred retailers. Ensure owned brand channels and partner sites are comparable to Amazon, and ready to capture shoppers when they are ready to buy will ensure you’re fully capitalising on the day.
Making your Prime Deals available everywhere will appeal to the savvy, deal-hungry shopper. In addition, sending shoppers unexpected personalised deals, or tailored offers will encourage purchasing and build loyalty. Re-target previous purchasers in the run-up to July and ensure your brand is top of mind by hyper-targeting shoppers with relevant ads and leveraging data to unearth new prospects to pursue.
Remember, the sales generated on Prime Day will provide a fillip to growth throughout the rest of the year, not just on Amazon, but with other retail partners.
KEY CONSIDERATIONS FOR PRIME DAY
- Winning products have mass market appeal, are trending, with awareness built in advance
- Focus on best-sellers – with strong conversion rates and traffic
- Provide compelling reason to buy – optimized content, discounts, promotions, coupons
- Use PPC to drive traffic – sponsored brands, sponsored products, advertising
- Be mindful of inventory – ensure you can fulfil spikes in demand, and not go out of stock